Behind the Curtain: Meet Daniel Weston
Daniel is a great candidate for a behind the curtain look at individualized coaching, because he has variables in his daily life that many people juggle. Daniel is a husband, father of two boys, and works Monday through Friday at NFU Mutual in Warwickshire, England.
Daniel and I took some time to talk about his lifestyle, goals, training background, and routine. Like all clients I start with we begin with a questionnaire (see below), so I can get a base level knowledge of what type of program I would like to put in place. This gives me the intel to be prepared for our introduction phone conference.
Next, Daniel and I got on the phone and chatted about some of the specifics to his training.
My initial takeaways about Daniel:
- He has a substantial history in the sport of running. He has a decade of 4,000 mile years. This places Daniel in a unique postition that will help determine how we apporach his training.
- He has a well developed aerobic system and the leg strength to support it at the aerobic level. This is clear with his Maximum Aerobic Function (MAF) that comes in at approximately 6:05 per mile at a heart rate in the low 140s.
- His race experience indicates that he is very familiar with speed work, which he has routinely checked through weekend races from 10 km up to 100 km.
- His commute routine provides the framework for consistancy in his training.
Name and Age: Daniel Weston 37 Date of birth 31st May 1979
Goal(s): 21st May 2017 100k 7h. 2018 represent GB in world 100k championships, top 20 finish
Race Experience (distance & times):
10k PB 33:00
- September 7th at Changa Ford Gobi Desert 100km
- 30th April 1st North Wales 10 mile Championships
- 27th March Anglo Celtic Plate 100k, International Including British Championships, 7h11m . 2nd Position.
- 6th March Wrexham Marathon - 1st 2h34m
- 2nd May Anglo Celtic Plate 100k, International Inc British Championships, 7h16m . 5th Position.
- 8th March Wrexham Marathon - 1st 2h35m
- Overall winner of the Borders League Road Racing Series of 7 races. See www. bordersleague .org.uk
- 29th June - Rhyl Half Marathon - 1st
- 3rd May - Anglo Celtic Plate 100k - 7h43m - 10th
- 26th April - Winner of the North Wales 10 mile Championships (2nd in open race)
- 6th April - Manchester marathon 2h37m
- 13th Oct - Erddig 10k multiterrain, 1st
- 6th Oct - Chester Marathon 2h34m
- 18th Aug - Cheddar Gorge Trail Marathon 1st
- 11th Aug - Great Warford 10 mile 2nd in race, represented the North Wales team
- 20th July - Wenlock Olympian Walk (Open to Ultrarunners too) 50 miles Trail. 1st
- 28th April - Manchester Marathon 2h33m
- 7th April - Wrexham 10k 1st
- 17th Feb - Wrexham Half Marathon. North Wales Champion 1st
Average Pace and Heart Rate (training):
- 120 bpm 6:45 easy
- 143 MAF 6:05 pace
Training Environment (trail, road, mtn. hill, etc.): Road. Occasionally grass on the weekends.
Past Training Volume (miles per week/hours per week):
- 12 miles a day (4300 a year)
- 10 years of around 4000 a year.
- Monday - Friday: Monday to Friday I commute to work which is 10.5 miles each way so I can fit in 21 miles a day if I want the volume up. If I want to keep the mileage down I cycle in, run home (leave my bike at work), run back in the next day, then cycle home.
- Saturday: 8 am
- Sunday: 8 am (best spot for race workouts or long run)